1 site · Lodging9 acres · Remsen, Herkimer
Enjoy your stay in our 12'x14' outfitter tent equipped with a queen mattress, day bed, camping & cooking amenities, and a wood stove for winter heat.
We bought the property in 2018 and are transforming it into a permaculture-inspired, regenerative homestead with annual and perennial gardens, chickens, a greenhouse, and mushroom cultivation. Enjoy privacy and seclusion on our 9 acre property.
We are 5 Mins to Hinckley Lake, 15 mins to Adirondack park border, close to fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, etc.
The outfitter tent is located at the rear of our property on a mixed open / wooded site. It is on a raised platform. It is tucked into the trees and approximately 1000ft from the main house. You will have privacy and seclusion. You will need to walk to the site from the main house through an open field, and carry your gear along a flat trail. We have a wagon available if needed.
We stock the campsite with:
- 12'x14' outfitter tent
- Indoor wood-burning stove for winter heat (Firewood supplied)
- composting toilet in separate building
- Bed with queen mattress, includes linens
- Trundle bed for extra guests, includes linens
- Solar powered interior lighting
- Board Games
- Table & Chairs
- Picnic Table
- Coleman camp stove and propane, Charcoal grill and charcoal, campfire grill. (Please bring your own dishes, pots, pans, and utentils)
- Coffee and french press, mugs provided
- Bug spray made from essential oils
- Outdoor fire pit & firewood
- Solar powered battery pack for phones and small electronics
- First aid kit
- Trash, recycling, compost bins
- Cooler (bring your own ice)
- Seasonal goodies from our homestead
The area is full of life during all seasons. We are situated in the woods on a quiet country road. We have about 9 acres of mixed open and wooded land. We have been working on creating a functioning homestead informed by permaculture and regenerative agriculture practices since 2018. We are happy to show you all of our projects, and you are welcome to walk the property if you'd like.
- Greenhouse with water catchement system
- Chickens with composting system
- Food Forest with fruit trees, edible greens, berries, etc.
- Planned and wild edibles throughout the property
- Perennial flower and herb gardens
- Preliminary wild-flower meadow
- Annual gardens with hugelkulture mounds, plant guilds, and raised beds
Nearby stuff to do:
- Hinckley Lake: 5 mins to enjoy boating, public swimming beaches, picnicking, kayaking, etc. (We do not have room for a trailer or towed boat).
- Adirondack Park: About 15-20 minutes to the park border. The largest piece of public land in the contiguous US. Lots of fishing, hiking, and swimming in pristine mountain lakes.
- Hinckley Forest: 3 mins away, hiking and mountain biking trails (and a secret berry patch if you come late July).
- BREIA Trail system: 5 minutes & 15 minutes, well maintained protected lands with hiking trails, cross-country ski trails & snow shoeing
- Pixley Falls: 25 Mins, a beautiful waterfall with a short hike. Winter cross-country ski trails.
- Remsen farmers market: 10 mins, small market running from June to Oct that we help organize on Saturday Mornings
- Spring Creek Lavender Farm: 3 mins away, local farm where you can pick your own lavender bouquet and buy lavender products and visit farm animals.
- High Peaks: About a 2.5 hours, absolutely beautiful drive through the Adirondack park. This region is home to the highest peaks in the state.
- West Canada Creek: About 10 minutes away. One of the most popular fishing spots in the country. Kayaking, tubing, swimming.
- Old Forge: About 45 minutes. Probably the most popular tourist town in the western Adirondacks.
- Delta Lake Park: 25 minutes to a beautiful lake, state park, with boating, fishing, hiking, and public swimming beach.
- Utica & Rome: About 25 minutes. Lots of farmers markets and concerts in the summer. Tour Saranac brewery, visit the Munson Williams Art Museum, see a show at the Stanley Theatre. Plenty of amazing places to eat - just ask us!
- Herkimer diamonds: About 20 minutes. Mine your own Herkimer diamonds, local rock formations unique to this region.
- Syracuse: 1hr15 mins, Breweries, shopping mall, restaurants, NY State fair.
- Skiing: Within 25 Mins of Woods Valley Ski Resort, 50 Minutes to McCauley Mountain Ski Resort, and 1.5hrs to Gore Mountain Ski Resort
Please note that we have an adopted dog named Sadie who was neglected for the first few years of her life. Sometimes she barks at people when they arrive. She has a scary bark but she won't hurt you. Best thing to do is just ignore her & not interact with her. If you are uncomfortable with dogs, let me know before you arrive and I can make sure she is inside.
I am not able to accommodate RVs or trailers. I have a very long, skinny driveway with no way to turn around, and there is nowhere to to park something as large as a trailer.
The camp site is not accessible by car. You'll have to park in the driveway and then bring your gear back to the site, which is about a 2 minute walk. All vehicles must be parked in the driveway. We do have a wagon if you need it to carry your gear.
We have chickens on the property, including roosters who start crowing at sun up. Plan on being up early :)