The recycled cabin was built over the course of two years, all with recycled materials or from trees from around the property. It has a king bed and enough solar power to play vinyl records and light your way in the night.
We'd love to host your pet! Pets are welcomed with a $20 extra cleaning fee.
- Check in: After 3PM
- Check out: Before 12PM
- Cancellation policy: Moderate
- On arrival: Meet and greet
- Minimum nights: 2
- Accepts bookings: 12 months out Weeknight discount: 30% off
You know what would make this trip even better?
Take advantage of these offers available to add to your trip to The Cabin on the Mongaup River
Offered on the Host's property or nearby.
Natural features you'll find at The Cabin on the Mongaup River in New York.
The lake is 3 mile drive from the site.
The vibe at The Cabin on the Mongaup River
Places to see near The Cabin at the Mongaup River
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
Staying at this cabin was a truly magical experience. Secluded away in a corner of the forest, there was a stream near by and a waterfall only a short 5 min hike away. The cabin was decorated with LED lights, inside and out, tiki torches and Christmas lights that lit up the site in the nighttime. There’s no shower but there’s a large tub right outside the cabin, with fairy lights forming an arch above. The tub could be filled up with water from the stream and heated by making a larger fire in the fire pit. Not only was it adorable on the outside, but also on the rustic inside of the cabin. The record player with a variety of records on the side was a nice touch. It hooked up to a speaker outside so you could be cooking on the grill and listening to a Led Zeppelin record at the same time. To get upstairs you had to climb up some steep stairs holding onto a rope (which totally added to the experience:). This king size bed was one of the comfiest I had ever slept in, and with a window right by, you could look out and see the deep forest at any time. If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, an escape from reality, in a secluded woodland environment this is the perfect place! It’s obvious a lot of work went into building this place and there was much attention to detail. From the little beaded decorations hanging outside, to the hammocks, to the carved wooden seats, to the liquor bottle torches. This whimsical cabin throws you into another land and time. My boyfriend and I extremely enjoyed staying here and I highly recommend it to couples and smaller families. Thanks again! (Even the outhouse was cute!)
This cabin was even better than what we expected. The photos just don’t do justice for this beautiful hidden gem. We arrived later in the day but there were no issues checking in. Upon arrival we quickly found ourselves comfortable with the surroundings of the property. We were extremely surprised how comfortable and clean the cabin was as well. I would definitely recommend this cabin to a music buff, as the record collection is perfect for the setting and the sound system is awesome inside and out the cabin! Another key enjoyment to the cabin was the outdoor hot tub which is heated by the fire. This was the perfect way to unwind after a long day of exploring. All in all this cabin exceeded our expectations and had us wishing we booked a longer stay! I would highly recommend this cabin to anyone looking for the perfect escape!
We had an amazing time here. The cabin was cosy, the record player (+great records) was a brilliant extra, and the whole setup - fire pit, grill, stream nearby, river a short walk away - made for exactly the kind of switch-off we were looking for. The area around is beautiful too. Highly recommended. (We had our six-year-old daughter with us, and she loved it too.)
This is a great place to unplug. The hosts are warm, friendly and attentive. The cabin is full of nice surprises such as the LP collection and kitchenette. The whole place is wonderful, the river and waterfalls are beautiful and only an easy short walk away. In a word, a gem!
The hosts are very friendly and helpful. The cabin is fantastic, it has everything you need. We took a camping stove to save us the hassle of building a fire every time we cooked. The waterfall and the river are so beautiful and they are so close by, that we went every day. A great retreat, close to the city and still you can unplug yourself. The only minor downside is that you can hear the road from the campsite.
There isn’t a bad thing to say about this place. The cabin is adorable, comfortable and private. The site is amazing and all the work the owners have put into it will have you in awe. The hot tub fills with fresh creek water and can even be heated by the fire pit! So relaxing. The surrounding area has a hiking path out to the waterfall, such a cool place to hang out. The hosts were gracious and down to earth, couldn’t have asked for a more perfect stay.
This location was exactly as advertised. The location was secluded enough so you could be left alone but not to far for last minute needs and supplies. It's only a short walk to the waterfalls and a field is available for games/activities. The campsite itself was very well maintained and well crafted by the owner. It has everything you could need from gravity fed flowing water, solar power for some light and record player, and even a hot tub heated by the firepit. The contacts/owner were very responsive and helpful from start to finish. I would highly recommend this location to anyone.
Anniversary cabin stay!
My husband and I stayed 2 nights in The Cabin and would have easily extended our stay for weeks! We live in Philadelphia and were looking for a rustic but comfortable, off-the-grid but with lights, secluded but safe cabin getaway to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary where we could bring our dog with us. We are already planning to come back again!
- Jenna was available to answer questions and help in planning all along the way! (even when I was overthinking)
- Dennis met us outside with a big welcome to this property. You walk from the parking area down to the cabin (maybe 5 minutes), and then if you have a cooler and a few bags he brings them down by ATV. Walking down is the perfect way to start your cabin stay! We loved walking down the path with the LED lights leading right up to the cabin.
- Dennis gave us a nice run-down on the nuances of the record player and the lights in the cabin, gave us a couple of pointers about the fire and the hot tub, and was on his way!
- Dennis is always the helpful host, making sure we had enough fire wood, giving us tips on the workings of the cabin, how to get to the waterfall, the history of the cabin, and was always good for a story or a thought.
- The record player! Something for everyone. Or bring your own if you have favorites.
- Campfire cooking supplies. Cast iron skillets, pots, plates, silverware, knives, aluminum foil, and seasonings.
- The bed was so so comfy!
- Outdoor sink with stream-fed water supply.
- The hot tub! Start 3 hours ahead of the time you want to get in. It is worth the investment of time.
- An outhouse that is clean.
- The waterfall is so beautiful! We were the only people there. It felt like our own slice of heaven.
- Wake up at 6am one day and go outside to listen to the birds!
- Walk to the waterfall!
- Bring more alcohol and food than you think you need. You are not going to want to go anywhere for anything once you settle in.
- Do not visit The Cabin with an agenda. Let yourself unwind and have no plans. You don't need any.
- Bring a cooler for food and drinks, there is no fridge.
THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- You can hear some cars every now and then. Not anything to do about that... just something to know if your plan is to not hear any cars for a weekend.
- You might need an additional fan in the bed area of the cabin. It gets warm up there. You will need your own battery powered fan if you choose to bring one.
We spent a lovely weekend at this cabin. It was amazing. Dennis was a wonderful host and made sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our mini vacation.
The cabin is cozy and adorable, the woods around it are beautiful. River and waterfall just 10 minutes hike away. This place has everything you need. Fireplace, grill, hammocks, hot tub which you can fill with fresh stream water and heat by fire pit. Forget about your bluetooth speaker and its horrible sound quality. Turntable, amazing indoor and outdoor speakers, and dozens of vinyl records to play are overwhelmingly better.
We highly recommend The Cabin on the Mongaup River and can't wait to return!