1 site · Lodging1 acre · Pine Mountain Club, Kern
Located in a spectacular mountain setting just 90 miles north of Los Angeles, Pine Mountain Club is a residential community in the Los Padres National Forest. Relax & unwind while surrounded by acres of old forests that shelter an array of flora & fauna, including the rare California Condor. This gambrel cabin was one of the original homes built in PMC in 1976. The 70s vibe is still alive with cork floors, shag rugs, wood paneling, record players, an 8-track player & an orange Malm fireplace.
Our 1970s chalet-style gambrel cabin is located at an altitude of 5500 feet above sea level. Both bedrooms are equipped with organic latex mattresses (queen downstairs, full upstairs) and ROKU smart TVs. There is also a TV with basic cable, a VHS player, and classic video games in the living room downstairs. Upstairs we have a projector for watching movies on a big screen. The kitchen is equipped with a full size refrigerator, oven/stove, Nespresso machine with milk frother, blender, waffle maker and fondue pot. We have board games, puzzles, records, 8-track cassettes, VHS tapes, a projector (for VHS or streaming movies), a guitar, keyboard, and a working fireplace. Towels and linens are provided. The washer and dryer cannot be used by guests, but there is a laundromat in the village and another in Frazier Park.
Keep in mind this is not a hotel, this is a privately owned cabin in the middle of a National Forest. The water may take a little longer to heat up, the electric heaters might smell a little dusty the first time they are turned on after a long summer, spiders might rebuild their webs less than 24 hours after the space is cleaned, there may be dirt on the outdoor furniture, you might need to wear insect repellant in the summer or shovel the driveway and deck in the winter. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is not it, but if you want a fun, comfortable getaway in the mountains, please submit a booking inquiry. You are expected to complete a checkout checklist which includes washing your dishes and putting them away where you found them, making sure all wall heaters are off, etc.
You'll be in walking distance of the PMC Clubhouse which houses a restaurant, bar, recreation room, community swimming pool and hot tub (SUMMER ONLY), tennis courts, and a golf course. If you'd like to use the pool, please send names of all guests so I can register you in advance. There is a fee of $5 per person, per day, for the temporary pool passes to be paid at the pro shop on pickup. We're also close to hiking trails and the village where you'll find the Pine Mountain General Store, Bear Claw Bakery, The Perch, gift shops, and more.
During the WINTER months, there is a chance of snow and/or ice on the roads. You will need 4WD/AWD or tire chains on hand. The CA Highway Patrol is often checking cars before allowing access. You may also need to show confirmation of your reservation. We have a snow shovel on the deck in case you need to shovel the driveway or deck. Parking on the street is not allowed. We've had several guests say they grew up on the East coast and know how to drive in snow, only to comment about the curvy, icy road into the forest which is no joke! Even if you are prepared, someone in front of you might not be, so have warm clothes or blankets in the car, a full tank of gas, and some snacks in case you get stuck.
Other things to note
There is an outdoor security camera on the property.
The cabin is not in the middle of nowhere, we have neighbors on all sides. Please be respectful.
The wi-fi is pretty reliable but as we are in a rural area, it can be slow and it does go out from time to time. If you absolutely must have internet access guaranteed, this may not be the place for you.
No shoes in the house
The two overriding rules are 1) Leave the home the way you found it and 2) Respect the privacy and quiet of our neighbors.
- NO SHOES IN THE HOUSE
- Please do not rearrange the furniture. Use coasters on wood surfaces! Be gentle with everything - most items are vintage.
- Basic cleaning up after yourself is expected, including washing your dishes and putting them away.
- Trash and recycling must be taken to the transfer site when you check out.
- We provide a checkout checklist so you remember to turn all heaters off, lock doors and windows, etc.
- Commercial photography/filming is not allowed without permission. Please send details in advance and we will get back to you with the rates for your project.
- No outdoor fires of any kind
- Quiet hours in PMC are 10pm - 7am
- Smoking allowed outside ONLY. Please keep doors and windows closed. If the house smells of smoke after you leave you will lose your deposit to cover the cost of odor removal. Dispose of butts properly - not on the ground.
- Pets are not allowed. We had to change our policy after a bad experience.
- This is a forest, and bears (and other wildlife) are frequently sighted. No food or trash should be left outside the cabin unattended. All doors and windows need to be closed if you're not in the room. There is an air horn in the downstairs bedroom closet, and whistles near the sliding glass door. If you see a bear, make a lot of noise to scare it away.
- Missing items will be deducted from your deposit plus a $50 service fee per item.
- NO fireworks or guns of any kind (including BB and paintball)
- No parking on the street. If you have a RV please contact me in advance to discuss options.
- Any additional guests beyond the number stated in your reservation must be approved in advance.
- Your name and contact information will be shared with the Pine Mountain Club Property Owner's Association, in case of emergency or neighbor complaints.
- You must provide your email address in advance of your stay. Documents will be sent for you to print out.