5 sites · Lodging15 acres · Cumberland Bay, Queens
Welcome to "The Old Canoe"! Our 15-acre shore-front property is located along the Cumberland Bay Stream in Cumberland Bay, New Brunswick, Canada. We offer unique vacation rentals for outdoor enthusiasts, and are perfect retreats for couples, or for singles looking for a much-needed get-away. Those who vacation here experience a mix of modern conveniences, along with some off-grid or old-fashioned rustic charm.
This isn't modern-day "glamping". This is camping with a whole bunch of extras ... including free use of our canoes and kayaks at our shore!
Hipcamp has named us a runner-up for the best Hipcamp to visit in New Brunswick in 2023 based on last year's bookings, reviews, and ratings! We couldn't be more excited!
WHAT TO PACK: Food and ice in a cooler, and your clothes!
We've recently added a BBQ and side burner for your cooking needs. Rentals are stocked with just about everything else you'll need for a great stay! You may also want to bring rubber boots or water shoes, sunscreen, and bug spray.
We live on this property, and over the years we have enjoyed all it has to offer. In 2021, we decided to give others the opportunity to enjoy it too!
If you're looking for a place to enjoy nature and solitude. THIS IS IT!
To be candid, this IS NOT a party place! So, if that's what you're looking for, this is definitely NOT for you! Our goal is to provide a safe and peaceful place for our guests to Relax, Enjoy Nature, Get Back To Basics, Get Outdoors, and to Unplug and Unwind!
Here at "The Old canoe", we currently have two vacation rentals (Cabin 4, and "Main Street" the Bus). These are available in the warmer months only. We may add a couple more in the future, but our goal is to keep it small and quaint so that our guests have their space and enjoy their privacy.
VACATION RENTALS INCLUDE:
- Your own private campfire area surrounded by twinkle lights. Relax in the seating provided, and stargaze or make s’mores (firewood is sold on site). At night, connect with your inner child and collect lightening bugs (container provided).
- Hammocks for you to enjoy at your rental.
- Books, games, and lots more!
- FREE use of kayaks and canoes for our registered guests to enjoy here at our Shore (depending on weather conditions). Life jackets / PFD's and boat safety kits are mandatory, and are provided. SWIMMING IS NOT ADVISED as it is somewhat muddy/marshy, and shallow.
The biggest attraction of all included in your stay … NATURE!
Cell phone service is very poor in this area, so it's a great opportunity to UNPLUG and get away from the daily hustle and bustle! However we do provide Free LIMITED Wi-Fi for registered guests who would like to check messages or emails, etc. (This FREE service is NOT intended for downloading large files which require excessive data usage such as movies, etc., and we thank our guests in advance for respecting this).
MODERN CONVENIENCES :
- Limited electricity which provides you with ample lighting, as well as outlets for charging your devices. (It is not equipped with enough electricity to power a microwave, hair dryer, electric space heater, toaster, electric cooler, etc.).
- Completely furnished unit includes a bed with fresh bedding, dresser drawers (so you can unpack your suitcase), wash basin (with water, wash cloths, towels, soap and hand sanitizer), indoor dining area, stocked indoor prep kitchen area.
- Indoor prep kitchen area is stocked with just about everything you'll need for prepping meals, including dishes, glasses, mugs, utensils, pots and pans, water kettle, tea pot, coffee pot (coffee provided), dish detergent, dish cloths, dish towels, and kitchen hand towels. (Please be sure to wash your dirty dishes and put them away). There is also tea, sugar, sweetener, salt, and pepper.
OFF-GRID or OLD-FASHIONED RUSTIC CHARM :
- Outdoor Cook Area. For safety reasons, ALL COOKING IS TO BE DONE OUTDOORS. We have recently added a BBQ and side burner. Cook area has a counter or table that's perfect for prepping meals. If you like, you could even cook on the campfire firepit with wood, or you could bring Charcoal.
- Outdoor dining area for those who love to dine al fresco, includes a table with chairs and twinkle lights at night.
- Jugs of water are supplied inside and outside your rental for washing up, washing dishes, and drinking. You can refill these jugs whenever you want at our “Watering Hole”. If you need hot water, there are kettles and pots that you can use to boil water in.
- Washroom Facilities consist of a shared Luxury Outhouse which has ample lighting, a sink with gravity-fed water, soap, hand sanitizer, and extras. A 2nd shared Outhouse at or near our Shore includes ample lighting, sink with foot-pump water supply, flushing RV toilet, soap, and hand sanitizer. There is also a wash basin in your rental.
- OUTDOOR SHOWER: A newly added outdoor cold water shower with a forest view on one wall has recently been added at The Watering Hole. Bath towels ARE NOT PROVIDED. This shower unit runs off a rechargeable battery pack, and a limited amount of water is supplied in a large water container. Be wise about water use while showering!
This property has a variety of terrain, including clearings, forest, thickets, paths, maple groves, and the Cumberland Bay Stream which flows through marsh wetlands and empties into Grand Lake (the largest fresh water lake in New Brunswick). It offers an abundance of wildlife, plant life, fresh air, tranquility, relaxation, and has the ideal setting for leisurely water sports such as canoeing, kayaking, row boating, or paddle boarding.
You might get to see birds such as woodpeckers, wild turkeys, ducks, geese, cranes, or eagles. You may even catch a glimpse of foxes, deer, moose, otters, beavers, frogs, or turtles! Don’t forget your camera!
Enjoy morning coffee at the table in The Field. Have a siesta or read a book while relaxing in your hammocks. Stroll through paths, or the Shore Road. Relax in various seating areas throughout our property. Picnic at the Shore and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of nature. Go for a paddle on the Stream.
To fish, check with Natural Resources and Energy Development for license information, and bring your own gear.
Cumberland Bay is a small community, centrally located between three major New Brunswick cities (Fredericton, Moncton, and Saint John). It has it's own volunteer Fire Department, churches, and a small public wharf nearby (The Range Wharf).
The nearby communities of Young's Cove, Waterborough, and Chipman are all within a 10 to 15 minute drive. You'll find churches, convenience stores, gas bars, take-outs, local markets, public swimming location, marina, and boat launch. In your vacation rental, there is a Welcome Binder with detailed information about these places.
Come to Cumberland Bay and experience this hidden gem of nature! Get back to the basics, Unplug, Unwind, Enjoy nature ... RELAX!
Click on our separate listings for full descriptions, pictures, availability, or to book your stay!