20 sites · RVs, Tents100 acres · Caithness, Charlotte
Situated in Caithness, New Brunswick, where the Magaguadavic River meets the Passamaquoddy Bay on the Bay of Fundy.
Once owned by high profile Saint Andrews-By-The-Sea resident, Robert Pagan, the property, like other properties in the area, were granted to American Loyalist Solders of Scottish Highlanders, and named for Caithness, Scotland, the place where Golf began.
When the US Revolutionary War ended, the King of Holland was chosen to define the boundary between the United States and Canada. He chose the “St Croix River”. The problem was, nobody knew where the St Croix River was. That name had been used by the French, but had not been used in a very long time.
Canadians believe the Schoduc River was the St Croix. American’s believe the Wolastoq River (now called the St John River) was the St Croix River.
The local North American Indigenous people (the MicMacs or Mi'kmaqs) told Robert Pagan of a place called “Bone Island” where their history told of Europeans living and dying there. Pagan did an archaeological dig on “Bone Island” and found the remains of the French colonists and their settlement. This proved “Bone Island”, also known as “Dochet Island” or “Saint Croix Island", was the site of Pierre Dugua, Sieur de Monts' ill-fated 1604 settlement.
Based on this, the Boundary Commission agreed that the Schoduc River was the Saint Croix River and therefore, the international boundary between Canada and America.
The survivors of the 1604/1605 winter move from St Croix Island to Port-Royal in Nova Scotia (two years before the European arrival in Jamestown, Virginia).
Without the work of Robert Pagan, this campsite and half of New Brunswick, including the Capital City of Fredericton and half of the City of Saint John would have been part of Province of Massachusetts Bay (later Maine).
In the 1800's this property was part of a 1000 acre lot of land owned by two brother McKenzie, who were Sea Captains. Since the late 1960s, the property was the summer home of Ben and Marg Leland, parents to 14 children and 50 grandchildren.
Today, there are four (4) separate fields available for campers - Barnes' Point, Charlies Garden, the Villa Point and the Main Beach.
The property has thousands of feet of shoreline and several beaches to enjoy. We even have our own private island, Blueberry Island.
A really unique and quiet place to stay.
Learn more about this land:
Natural long grass fields for camping, some mowed midseason. There are several shale beaches on the tidal salt water. There is also access to the Fresh Water of the Magaguadavic River.
Kayakers looking for more of a challenge may choose to paddle the Salt Waters of the Passamaquoddy Bay past Midjik Bluff. Those looking for calmer and warmer waters, may want to choose to go from the campsite, up the Magaguadavic River to the beautiful Saint George Basin and the Saint George Gorge, passing the Three Sisters and the newest Bald Eagles Nest (at the most eastern end of the Campsite).
Pass by Silver Island arriving at the Saint George Basin. Disembark at the Basin Boat Ramp and take a short walk up Portage Street to Main Street. Enjoy an ice cream at Pete’s Dairy Bar. Also a short walk to the Saint George Mall, the Historic Granite Post Officer, the Saint George Dam, Fish Ladder, the Old Pulp Mill, the Country Market, and more.
A quiet spot, away from noise and light pollution, where the fresh water meets the salt water.
WiFi Connection 01: TP-Link_33DD_2G
WiFi Connection 02: TP-Link_33DD_5G
WiFi Password: 47528963