The Bishop Jerdan Conference Center is owned by the Reformed Episcopal Church Diocese of the Southeast. Nature Adventures Outfitters has partnered with the Church Diocese to manage the land. This land once was a village for the Sewee Native Americans that lived along the waterfront from Buck Hall Recreation Area up along Awendaw Creek. During the Plantation era it was a part of Walnut Grove Plantation owned by the Doar Family. Walnut Grove Plantation was a working plantation until the early 1900's. The Reformed Episcopal Church aquired it in 1960's. The waterfront camping area used to house a Conference Center and Chapel, however, in 1989 Hurricane Hugo destroyed the buildings on the waterfront (all the stone picnic tables, basketball court, and swings survived the storm). The current Conference Center was build in the 1990's.