4 sites · Tents13 acres · Vilonia, Faulkner
Back in 2018, when we FIRST moved to this land, there was only a water spigot and a 14x14 structure that was basically a glorified shed...
Now, 5 years later, we have created many fun spaces and built many structures for our many hobbies and passions. We have built a small workshop, a rock cutting/shaping area and decked out a shed with a jewelry-making station and a long marble countertop for
sewing projects. We have built a 3-level treefort with a crow's nest and a 10x12 screened Bungalow in the woods for guests to stay in.
We have also created a large garden with 9 beds, using various aspects of Permaculture, including several Hugelculture beds. We created a comfortable and private outside shower in the upper corner of the garden, that is perfect after a long day of having our hands in the soil! (Meredith has named it the "Flower Shower" as we grow various seasonal flowers, Sage and some beautiful Poppies that can be seen from the shower.)
Because this is Arkansas, and we live at the top of a ridge, our topsoil is mainly clay and rocks... so one of the first endeavors we started was creating a 5 bin mass composting system to build up our soil for our gardens. We
found grocery stores and coffee shops to donate hundreds of pounds of old produce and coffee grounds. Since our arrival we have made over 4000+ lbs
of beautiful compost and continue to do so today!
We have planted 14 fruit and nut trees and started a 'Berry Orchard'. We also have a small vineyard consisting of about a dozen trained Muscadine vines. Closer to the house is a wonderful Herb Spiral that showcases over 20 medicinal and cooking herbs and we have a dozen more herbs in the other garden and around our land as well. We also have been planting a food forest outside the garden area, growing PawPaw trees, Gooseberries, Jerusalem Artichokes and Opossum grapes for the critters... so they may leave our actual garden alone, but they can still come close to get a tasty snack.
We also built a large chicken coop for our 25+ egg layer chickens, ducks, guineas and turkeys that free range our yard.
There is over a mile of trails through our woods, criss-crossing over our seasonal springs that we have built bridges over. Our trails go
up and down the mossy topped valleys and ridges with many places to comfortably stop and rest along the way.
One aspect about all this that we are extremely
proud of, is that we have built 75% or more out of RECLAIMED MATERIALS and RECLAIMED LUMBER (and made it look good!)
Learn more about this land:
We are located only 12 miles from I-40, just north of Vilonia. Our Homestead Farm: Barefoot Gardens, is on 8 acres of hardwood forest, where we use various Permaculture techniques to grow over 140+ varieties of various herbs, fruits, vegetables, trees and flowers!
The nights here are peaceful and filled with the soothing sounds of treefrogs. Fireflies dance in the night air as the stars peak thru the leaves overhead! (We commonly camp in our own yard for this exact same reason!)
Besides multiple camping locations and a beautiful forest, we also host over a dozen Educational Workshops and Homestead Demonstrations! Most all workshops/demonstrations are kid friendly as well! (Workshops are listed below in this description. They are also listed in the 'Extras' section of our HC profile.)
Here at Barefoot Gardens, you will find many fun and interesting places to explore and enjoy! Here is a list of some of our favorites!
- A 10x12 secluded, screen enclosed, roofed platform (10x12) is available for camping in the forest. This location is 600 ft. from parking area. Electricity is provided (No A/C or heat, please!) A firepit with a metal cooking grill and a small picnic table are also provided. A compost toilet is attached to the backside of the platform as well. Multiple hiking trails intersect near and around this area!
- Tent camping is available in various locations throughout the yard and forest, with available access to electricity and water (No A/C or heat, please!)
- Plenty of great places to hang up hammocks! (Including our 3 level Treefort!)
- RV's and pull behind camper's welcome! (up to 25 feet only please) Only very QUIET generators are allowed! If you need to run your A/C or heat for extended periods of time, while hooked into our electricity, please add $10 onto each day you stay with us! And NO... you cannot empty your black water tank here. [4 day maximum stay, please!]
- Firepits available next to campsite locations
- An outside shower located in the large garden AKA 'The Flower Shower" (warm season only.)
- Over a mile of hiking trails, with bridges that cross over seasonal springs and moss covered ridges. Trails go up and down several valleys and ridges, so there are several rest spots along the way. (Trails have been clearly marked with Blue trail markers, for easy navigation!)
- A large Herb Spiral featuring 25+ medicinal/cooking herbs and over a dozen more in our main garden and yard as well!
- Fresh picked greens, veggies, berries and Farm Fresh Chicken/Turkey eggs from our chickens are available for purchase too! (Located in the 'GOODS' section of our HipCamp profile! (Fruit/Veggie/Egg availability change depending on time of year.)
Besides all the beauty, trails and fun here at Barefoot Gardens... we also host multiple informative and educational workshops! More info about these can be found in the 'EXTRAS' section of our HipCamp profile!
Gardening, Plants & Permaculture Workshops Include:
1. "Herb Identification & Use" (= $5) 2. "Permaculture Tricks, Tips & Techniques" (= $5) 3. "Composting Like a Boss" (= $5) 4. "Foraging For Food in Arkansas" (= $5) [Availability and diversity depends on season.]
Homesteading Workshops Include:
5. "How to Clean & Process Chickens" (= $20) 6. "Soap Making" (= $10) [Text and ask about availability of both these workshops beforehand, please!]
Crystals & Jewelry Making Workshops Include:
7. "Arkansas Quartz Crystal/Mineral Mining" (= $30) [**Hosted OFF SITE!**] 8. "Shaping/Cutting Rocks & Crystals" (= $15) 9. "How to WireWrap Crystals & Stones" (= $12) 10. "Creating Hammered Copper Jewelry" (= $10)
We also have various Farm Fresh Produce and Freerange Chicken Eggs available! (Ask us what produce we have in our garden during your stay!) And we have various types of Hand Collected Crystals and Minerals, Handmade Jewelry, Anti-Poison Ivy Soaps/Salves available (and more) in our "GOODS" section of our HipCamp profile!
** Although we don't have a swimhole on site... there is a Beautiful 'Secret Swimhole' only a short drive away!