We've opened up the south east corner of our humble property. These additional campsites are tucked away on the upper plateau surrounded by juniper and open to the sunsets and starry skies that make your stay the most memorable. Each has a bit more privacy than our basic sites
- Check in: After 2PM
- Check out: Before 12PM
- Cancellation policy: Moderate
- On arrival: Go straight to camp
- Minimum nights: None
- Accepts bookings: 12 months out
The vibe at Songdog East Campsites
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
LOVED this spot so much I double dipped. Stayed at Songdog West last weekend and this weekend brought friends back to this side. Could not believe there was even a site available last min and happily snatched up site 3....pure magic. Site 3 is away from the other two and gorgeous. Plenty of room for multiple tents and close to some pretty hiking trails. This time of year the ground was a blanket of yellow flowers. My friends could not believe how great the spot was and how many little details Jim had thought of to make it comfortable and nice.
First time on the east side of the ranch. Stayed in campsite #2. The campsites are spaced far enough from each other for privacy but close enough if you want to book multiple sites. Campsite #2 is the closest of the three to the outhouse which is great when you have to go in the middle of night. The east side has equally great views as the west side campsite which we've also stayed at a few times. This was the first camping trip for our two German Shepherd puppies and they loved it and had no trouble sleeping. We love this ranch and will continue to explore the different campsites on this property.
Very lovely and helpful hosts. Each campsite has it's own covered wooden picnic table, fire pit and is set amongst the juniper flowers. There was plenty of space between the campsites and it felt very private. Absolutely stunning night sky gazing.
it was a very quiet and nice area. the scenery was amazing , and the owner has a good deal for fire wood. the wood he brings burns for a very long time ... the outhouse was also maintained pretty well. one of the best camp sites i have stayed at
These newly-opened sites are a great addition to this already-amazing property. You can book them separately or all together -- there's a perfect private to social ratio. During our stay, we really enjoyed the shady area, the easy access to water, and the short walk to the clean bathroom. We had a fun time hanging out with other campers around the fire while enjoying the sunset. Before we returned to the Bay Area, we made a pit stop at Carrizo Plain National Monument. It's a beautiful drive, and Soda Lake is a unique site to see.
We decided last-minute to take a Labor Day Weekend camping trip. Knowing our usual favorite had been booked up 2 months prior, I did a quick Hipcamp search for available campsites in California, and this was the closest to us (only 1.5 hr drive!) Though the fella was skeptical about heading to New Cuyama in a heat wave, we gave it a shot.
We're pretty sure we'll be camping here a few times a year.
The things we loved:
1) Our hosts were welcoming, friendly, and accommodating (including the 2 camp dogs!). They're the kind of people you want to be your friends, outside of the hipcamp experience!
2) Our site (#3 on the east) had a great view of the valley and highway heading into the mountains, and besides the "Speakeasy Lodge" on the next ridge, you could only see the tops of the picnic table shelters at the nicely-spaced sites closest to us on the Mesa.
3) Sites on the east were spacious, and included a fire ring and grill, little bench by the fire, 2 canvas ROCKING CHAIRS, a picnic table (with a shelter sturdy enough for hanging a hammock), large trash can, and water
4) We were able to rent a tub (cleverly fashioned from a horse trough of all things) to fill will water and sit in during the hottest part of the day.
5) The sunrise as well as the sunset was stunning, and if it weren't for a bright moon, I am sure the stars would have been incredible!
(As it turns out, this place turned out to be about 10 degrees cooler than the coast for the whole weekend!)
*Bottom line, if you're looking for a laid-back spot to relax, with simple comforts and wide open skies, head out to Songdog! We'll certainly be back!
Songdog East was incredible. It’s “rustic”, but with an outhouse and water, it really is very pleasant. Jim was very kind, the camp was clean and the views were nice. We took our large van up to site #1 which provided a nice flat spot and privacy. We camped with our toddler and newborn and loved every minute. We’re definitely coming back.
Only 2 hours from Los Angeles, but as remote as you can get. Barely saw another soul the entire time we were here (3 days). The sites are wonderfully maintained, the toilets are clean and stocked, the drive is easy and interesting, and there's plenty for our dog to investigate. Jim was super friendly and made our stay incredibly enjoyable. We stayed in site 1 at Songdog East. Closest to the hiking trails, the nicest bathroom, and furthest from eyesight of other sites. Was a great weekend!