Dutch ovens are about as quintessential to camping as s’mores. Here are some tips from Gail Kearns of Gourmet Girls On Fire.
- Build a campfire to one side of the firepit.
- When the fire is going fast and furious, add some charcoal to the center of the fire.
- Once the coals have a white ash coating, move some of them, using extra-long metal tongs, to the center. Don’t forget to wear some thick fireproof mitts.
- Place a cast iron tripod over the firepit, keeping the tripod legs inside the firepit, if possible.
- Hang the Dutch oven from the tripod chain so it is level and centered over the coals.
- Place more coals around the bottom, if needed, and adjust the cooking temperature by raising and lowering the oven.
- To saute ingredients prior to cooking, keep the oven close to the coals. Add remaining ingredients and place the lid on the Dutch oven with a cast iron lid lifter.
- Add coals to the lid accordingly.
Photos by Sara Schumacher.