We are located in the Potomac Highlands 3 hrs from DC or Richmond, 1 hr from Harrisonburg VA. We are a great getaway for hikers, cavers, bicyclists, motorcyclist, dark skies enthusiasts, or those who just want to take a break from their normal life and relax. Free firewood and spring water are provided.
We have 130 ACRES OF PRIVATE MOUNTAIN NATURE PRESERVE which spans mountain tops, forests, fields, flat hidden meadows, creekside spots so you may have as much privacy as you wish. You are sure to see deer and other wildlife - nature abounds! If you'd rather, choose a camping spot in a convenient location nearer the main log cabin and its amenities. Views anywhere on the property are amazing! A liability waiver is required due to the nature of the property. We will attempt to provide it before check in for your review, but if that fails, you will be given it when you arrive.
Miles of hiking trails beckon you to take a walk, we have an historic homestead on the property to explore (the Ananias Pitsenbarger Farm), plus we have a fishing pond for the kids. Amenities are shared by all campers and include: fire pit and grill, picnic pavilion, porches, access to bathrooms, showers, and fresh spring water.
NOTE there is CELL RECEPTION ONLY FOR AT&T & SPRINT AT THE MAIN CABIN, AND NO INTERNET. You'll be given the main cabin land line after you book and you may use the phone. Depending on your service, you may be able to send and receive texts from the top of one of the mountains (usually this is Verizon !).
Breakfast is available for an additional $8 per person per day. Please inquire if interested. We are also an event venue - please inquire about hosting your wedding, party, reunion, group gathering.
There is plenty to do off the property, too:
* Franklin WV - 10 miles - grocery store, ATM, library, restaurants, shopping, hardware stores. Franklin hosts a Spring Fling and (fall) Treasure Mountain Festival.
* Monterey VA - 21 miles away - restaurants, shopping, excellent cidery (Big Fish Cider), Sugar Maple Festival each March
* Harrisonburg VA - 46 miles away / Richmond VA and Washington D.C. area - about 3 hrs away
* Seneca Rocks (hiking and rock climbing) - 30 mi
* NRocks Outdoors (zip line canopy tour, rock climbing) - 25 mi
* Eagles Nest Outfitters (rafting) - Petersburg WV - 36 mi
* Seneca Caverns - 23 mi
* Trout fishing (catch and release) - White Thorn Creek - 5.5 mi plus several ponds and rivers stocked with trout by the DNR - a few miles away
* Pendleton County Bicycle Tour - we are on Loop 5 "Dry Run" (also fabulous for motorcyclists) and the Mountain Mama Race loop comes close to our driveway
* George Washington and Monongahela National Forests are nearby for hiking (North Fork Mountain Trail, Seneca Creek, Seneca Rocks Trail, Blackwater Falls Trail, plus hiking in next door Highland Co VA.
* Cave entrances are nearby if you are into spelunking
We are friendly dog friendly (neutered, please). Please ask about bringing your dog. We have a large dog on site, Xena, a boxador. No fences though, so dogs must be under voice command or you can borrow our cable run. Bring your friends and family - we literally have room for all!
- Check in: After 2PM
- Check out: Before 12PM
- Cancellation policy: Strict
- On arrival: Meet and greet
- Minimum nights: 2
- Accepts bookings: 12 months out
- Response time: Within 12 hours
- Response rate: 100%
The vibe at Loafer's Glory 130 acre campground
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
We had a fantastic camp site on the 160 acre Loafer's Glory property. Teresa and Jeff and great hosts and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, which included home-cooked breakfasts, hiking opportunities, and a cool old farmstead. Highly recommended!