Possum Kingdom State Park

Leave review

About Possum Kingdom State Park

How many state parks do you know that have a popular rock song named after them? To the best of our knowledge not many (although there should definitely be more!). A mid 90’s hit by the Toadies pays homage to this 1,530-acre north Texas marvel, located in the Brazos River Valley and tucked among the Palo Pinto Mountains on the shores of the expansive, 20,000-acre Possum Kingdom Lake. With so much aqua real-estate, this park is great for a myriad of lake activities including swimming, fishing, skiing, scuba diving, snorkeling, rowboating, inner-tubing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding and more! Back on the park’s solid soil hiking, biking, picnicking and camping are also offered. Come check out and see for yourself the wonders that make this park a song-worthy sight to see!

Campgrounds in Possum Kingdom

Possum Kingdom Campground

1. Possum Kingdom Campground

Possum Kingdom State Park campgrounds are actually split up into four different camping areas in additional to a 10-site primitive camping area....

LUoutdoor
L Uoutdoor: Camped here during our trip to Mineral Wells - we really enjoyed the views!
13 Saves

Photos

This park doesn't have any submitted photos—just yet.

Possum Kingdom
hipcamper
January 20th, 2015
Possum Kingdom
hipcamper
January 20th, 2015
Possum Kingdom
hipcamper
January 20th, 2015
Possum Kingdom
hipcamper
February 22nd, 2015
See 5 more photos
Texas P.'s photo at Possum Kingdom
Hipcamp Staff's photo at Possum Kingdom
ltbeyer's photo at Possum Kingdom
Hipcamp Staff's photo at Possum Kingdom
Hipcamp Staff's photo at Possum Kingdom

1 Review

750
No one? Bueller? Sharing is caring, y'all.
Drop some Possum Kingdom knowledge on us.
Hipcamper LUoutdoor

Camped here during our trip to Mineral Wells - we really enjoyed the views!

Helpful 0
Helpful 0
Remove vote :(

History of Possum Kingdom State Park

Possum Kingdom State Park, west of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County, is 1,528.7 acres adjacent to Possum Kingdom Lake. Some of the rock facilities at the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the early 1940s. The area was acquired by deed from the Brazos River Authority in 1940, and opened to the public in 1950.