William M. Tugman State ParkLeave review
About William M. Tugman State Park
Campgrounds in William M. Tugman
Drop some William M. Tugman knowledge on us.
History of William M. Tugman State Park
The park was acquired between 1962 and 1976 through gifts from the Oregon State Game Commission and purchase from private owners. The park protects the public access to and use of Eel Lake, which over many years had become partly filled with logging debris. The lake was cleaned out by the Game Commission prior to its transfer for park purposes. The area has been developed for camping and day use, including boating and swimming and fishing. The name commemorates William M. Tugman (1894-1961), prominent newspaperman of Eugene and Reedsport. Tugman headed Governor Paul Patterson's State Park Advisory Committee, which made the important citizens' report and recommendations on State Parks in 1956. He became the first chairman of the State Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee, which was formed in 1957.