Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State ParkLeave review
About Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park
Campgrounds in Jessie M. Honeyman
Drop some Jessie M. Honeyman knowledge on us.
History of Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park
Purchased from private owners between 1930 and 1936, the area was named to honor Jessie M. Honeyman of Portland (1852-1948), a leading advocate of roadside beautification, Oregon parks and scenic preservation. She was a tireless supporter and guide to Samuel Boardman, the first Oregon State Parks Superintendent. Civilian Conservation Corps forces under National Park Service direction, designed and constructed improvements superbly adapted to their surroundings between 1935 to 1940. Among the features included in a special district listed in the National Register of Historic Places are the stone and log Cleawox Lake bathhouse (1938); the park caretaker's house and garage (1936-37), now the park office; and several rustic kitchen shelters (1937). Other day-use facilities and landscaped roadways with stone curbings were constructed by CCC, and the sloped cuts on the Coast Highway were planted with shrubs. Overnight camping facilities were added on the south side of Cleawox Lake beginning in 1952. In the late 1950s, Honeyman Park was listed in Life Magazine as one of the outstanding state parks in the United States.