Tettegouche State ParkLeave review
About Tettegouche State Park
Campgrounds in Tettegouche
This park doesn't have any submitted photos—just yet.
Drop some Tettegouche knowledge on us.
History of Tettegouche State Park
In 1910, after removing most of the Norway and white pine, the logging company sold the camp and surrounding acreage to the "Tettegouche Club," a group of businessmen from Duluth who used the area as a fishing camp and retreat. One of its members, Clement Quinn, bought the others out in 1921 and continued to act as protector for the area until 1971 when Quinn sold Tettegouche to the deLaittres family. The deLaittres continued Quinn's tradition of stewardship for the land, beginning negotiations several years later for the preservation of Tettegouche as a state park. During these years, the Nature Conservancy, a private land conservation organization, played a vital role (along with other concerned individuals and groups) in the transfer of ownership. Finally, on June 29, 1979, legislation was enacted establishing Tettegouche as a state park.