Fall—the season for fiery foliage, nights around bonfires, cozy cabin camping and Campsgiving. Cool, crisp days make fall one of our favorite seasons to get outside (sorry, summer—we love you, too). To ease you into the new season, Hipcamp Field Scout Terah Wilson has shared a festive fall trail mix recipe, equally perfect for a back-to-school snack, Thanksgiving hors d'oeurve, or as fuel for an autumn hike.
- Roasted Pecans
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 shots of spiced rum (1 for the glaze and 1 to drink)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 cups Cinnamon Chex Cereal
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 handfuls of dried apricots
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Melt the butter, vanilla extract, and rum together in a pot on stove.
2. Pour the butter love mixture and the brown sugar over the pecans and mix until coated.
3. Pour the pecans on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven at 300°F for 10 minutes.
4. Stir the pecans and sprinkle them with ground ginger and then roast them another 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so those beauties don't burn!
5. Spread the pecans out on foil and let them cool. Once they are cooked down all the way pour them into a bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients. Toss and enjoy!