Camping is an all-time favorite for millions of people when it comes to getting outside. Still, when someone mentions camping, most people think tents and heavy backpacks. However, as you get more experience, you learn how to pack for such an adventure and things get a lot simpler. You also learn a few tricks that will come in handy especially when you’re camping with the entire family. One of these tricks, that proved amazing over the years, is car camping.
Me and my family love camping, but taking two small children on long hikes can be a nightmare. If you’ve ever done it, you know what I’m talking about. Well, in this case, using a car or even an RV (which is ten times better) offers an easy way to enjoy Mother Nature and share your camping experience with the family.
Car camping has many key differences compared to the traditional outdoor recreation that we know and love. Here are some of the noteworthy advantages:
1. Bring some extras – Traditional camping generally requires you to travel light and carry only the essentials for the trip. On the other hand, car camping enables you to bring in some extras, a lot of them actually. These extras could be for amenities or supplies which you could easily store in the trunk. In case you need anything, you can always walk back and forth between the camp and your car. There’s is no need to skip on luxuries as well.
2. Be extra prepared – When camping, preparing for the unexpected is pretty much a given. Having a car means having extra storage space not just for the essentials but emergency items as well. You can fully stock on things like ointments, medicine, bandages and other items. This comes extremely in handy when kids are involved.
3. Eat gourmet meals – Who doesn’t love a nice barbecue dinner prepared over the fire? However, if you’re going to stay for a week, you’re going to get fed up with such food. Not to mention that the kids will be fussy and asking for something else.
4. Have an escape plan – Being in the wilderness puts you in a situation where there’s always the possibility for things to go south. Whether you need to leave the campsite immediately or make an emergency phone call, you’ll have a reliable escape plan with your car.
5. Security – While a tent can keep the wind and rain out, it offers little to no protection against predators like bears or cougars. Now if you are inside a car, you have steel doors and shock-proof windshield to protect you from predators. Of course, there are also other people to worry about, other than predators. Again, the inside of your car will protect you from any potential wrongdoers.
6. Great for families – due to its relative ease, car camping is the perfect option for families who are looking for an outdoor getaway. Aside from the overall trip being easier, you also get to bring in a lot of things for the entertainment and convenience of kids.
Even though you like hiking, camping in-style might be a life-changer for you. I actually love the fact that it takes most of my worries away and, in the case of problems, we have a safe way to move to the next location. It’s also nice to look at the stars while sitting on a cozy mattress.
Samuel Funt is a prepper with over 15 years of experience who loves to travel all over the world. He also loves to share his knowledge and you can read more of his article on the Survival Masteryonline community.
In just 11 steps and 20 days, you can have this heavenly cabin on your land too.
Six things you can do to draw Hipcampers to your property, wherever you are.
Have a few old wooden pallets kicking around? Before you start planning the bonfire, check out these nine fresh ideas…
To help you figure out the best toilet situation for your property, check out our easy guide.