No, there is generally little to no cell service within Joshua Tree National Park or even in the area around Joshua Tree. This means, if you’re visiting Joshua Tree to unplug and recharge, you’re going to the right place! The park extends over a 1,235 square mile radius, and you should not expect to be able to rely on your phone, particularly in the rugged and remote terrain within the park.
While there is no service within the park, there are a few specific areas where you can get a couple of calls in. As you get close to park entrances, the reception becomes stronger — so in case of an emergency, head over to your nearest entrance. The best areas to try your luck are the Westside, starting around the Boy Scout Trailhead. Another area with decent reception is the top of Keys View Road.
Committing to being cell phone and internet-free for a long time might not be your cup of tea, and if so don’t worry — we’ve got you! On Hipcamp you can discover unique campsites and glampsites where you can still enjoy the desert environment without losing access to your email and Instagram. While you won’t be able to get cell service within the park, choosing to stay at a nearby Hipcamp with WiFi service can give you the best of both worlds. You can search for camping and glamping sites near Joshua Tree with WiFi by clicking “More filters,” and then under Amenities checking the box for “WiFi.”
Here are some of our favorite Joshua Tree camping and glamping options that will allow you to enjoy nature and the interweb:
1. Backyard Bohemia Located between Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park, this beautiful space provides tent lodging that can accommodate up to five guests. WiFi, toilets, and showers are available on-site. While on the property, you can also mini-golf, paint, or hang out by the fire pit.
2. DE/TOUR A 5-minute drive to Joshua Tree, the DE/TOUR trailer sleeps two, with outside space for two additional campers. This listing is also perfect for glampers, providing WiFi, a shower, and a toilet in a very peaceful and quiet environment.
3. Grand Tipi @ Camp Temenōs: Located on the north edge of Pioneertown Mountains Preserve, this peaceful campsite offers a king-sized bed with a view of the stars through a small opening at the top of the tipi. There is wifi as well as hot and cold running water for showers and cooking, plus a chiminea to enjoy a fire inside your tipi! Fresh drinking water, coffee, and tea is also provided.
4. Vintage Silver Streak Trailer This 1969 Silver Streak trailer is minutes away from the north entrance of Joshua Tree National Park and downtown Twentynine Palms. The trailer has an open living and kitchen area, as well as an outdoor patio and a fire pit. In addition to much-coveted WiFi, the trailer has available showers and toilets. An ideal space for glampers!
5. Sky Valley Ranch Campsite If you’re a “bring your own gear” kind of camper, the Sky Valley Ranch Campsite welcomes tents, vans, trailers, and RVs. The space is 14 miles away from Joshua Tree National Park and provides WiFi ad a plethora of activities in the surrounding area. Guests can enjoy great hikes, spas, and food near the rustic campsite.
No cell service? No problem. By booking one of the best camping and glamping near Joshua Tree National Park with WiFi, you’ll still be able to balance real-life commitments, all while disconnecting just the right amount.
Now’s a great time to find the perfect spot in Joshua Tree for your next camping, glamping or RV adventure. #FindYourselfOutside (TIP: Get $10 off your first booking when you create a new account here and use the referral code JOURNAL)