No, when visiting Joshua Tree, it’s best that you do not plan on sleeping in your car. Sleeping in your vehicle overnight within the National Park is not allowed. If found, you could be subject to a citation, so it’s best to avoid the situation altogether.
If you are looking to do “disbursed camping,” boondocking, free camping, vanlife, dry camping, or car camping to cut costs or because the nine in-park campgrounds are completely filled up, the great news is that there are numerous unique and affordable options that can save you from a citation.
If you truly don’t need any amenities such as toilets, running water, or showers, you can try the BLM land near Joshua Tree. If you are looking for amenities such as fire pits, toilets, potable water, hot showers, WiFi, and/or RV hookups or structures such as yurts, tiny cabins, vintage trailers, or tipis check out Hipcamp’s camping, glamping, car camping, and RV options near Joshua Tree where you can experience hiking among the otherwordly landscape and sleeping underneath the dark skies and bright stars of the California desert.
1. Moonlight Animal Rescue: Tent camping at the Moonlight Animal Rescue is just $20, and includes access to a bathroom, shower and potable water. You’ll also get to camp on a working Animal Rescue with goats, horses, llamas, chickens and ducks for neighbors — and your tent fees go to support the animals.
2. Backyard Bohemia: This listing provides tent accommodations for up to five guests. The property includes on-site WiFi, toilets, and showers, as well as activities such as painting, mini-golf, and fire pit hangouts (s’mores included).
3. Pathfinder Tipi at Camp Temenōs A 30-minute drive from Joshua Tree National Park, this charming tipi includes a private heated bathroom, toilets, an outdoor shower, and WiFi. Guests can enjoy the sounds of wildlife and see the stars and moon trace the sky through the opening at the top of each tipi. No matter your budget or amenity needs, Joshua Tree has an abundance of accommodation options. All it takes to find your perfect space is knowing where to look.
4. The Desert Pensione Joshua Tree: This tiny cabin has tons of modern conveniences — including lighting and electrical outlets, flush toilets, running water, and an outdoor shower. But it’s still rustic and bohemian enough to blend into the peaceful desert landscape.
5. Auntie Berts Farm: A gorgeous rural getaway, Auntie Berts Farm is 14 miles away from Joshua Tree National Park and a perfect spot for campers looking to drop off the grid. The space is bring-your-own-tent, and amenities include a shower, toilet, and kitchen. Guests can enjoy two swimming holes, hiking, stunning views, and eccentric decor on-site.
6. Jazzlin Rose Ranch: Roughly a 15-minute drive from Joshua Tree National Park, the Jazzlin Rose Ranch welcomes tents and vehicles in a gorgeous, rustic setting which features a barn and a communal kitchen. Amenities such as a shower and a toilet make the site a perfect choice for glampers. Nearby activities include hiking, horseback riding, and wildlife watching.
7. Wendy’s Kick it Spot: Another tent and RV campground to set shop, Wendy’s Kick it Spot stands 11 miles away from Joshua Tree National Park. Amenities include a kitchen, shower, and WiFi. An excellent basecamp option for those who are searching for something more remote and peaceful.
Now’s a great time to find the perfect spot in Joshua Tree for your next camping, glamping or RV adventure. #FindYourselfOutside (TIP: Get $10 off your first booking when you create a new account here and use the referral code JOURNAL).