Imagine this… it’s 2:30 PM and you just spent your morning doing some strenuous camping activities… Maybe you chopped some wood for the campfire. 🔥 Maybe you went hiking and took some epic selfies when you got to the top of the trail. Maybe you were swimming in a crystal clear lake and you took some time to read a book and just feel super present.
Suddenly you’re hungry… maybe borderline hangry. 😡 You get back to your site and you open the cooler and bam. 💥 You remember you packed some tasty things that you learned about while reading this post! You have sweet potatoes, broccolini and ground sausage.
An ease falls over you because you know that in 30 minutes or less… you’re gonna be eating something so yummy and so comforting – that you waste no time throwing a few logs in the fire and getting the coals ready.
Here, my hungry friends is my favorite foil pack recipe!
Sweet Potato, Sausage and Broccolini Foil Pack
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes plus 5 minutes resting | Total time: 35 minutes
Serving Size: 2
Sometimes, after a long day of outdoor activities like finding the perfect for that selfie, the first thing you want when you get back to your campsite is something that will essentially HUG you from the inside out. I’m talking full comfort, stick to your bones, make you feel warm but won’t quite take you out for the night or the afternoon. That’s where this delicious recipe comes into play. Spoiler alert: it’s my favorite! 😏
1 lb breakfast sausage (you can use any ground meat)
2 medium size peeled sweet potatoes
½ pound of broccolini
½ cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a piece of heavy-duty foil to a length of 12 inches curl up the edges by ½ inch on all 4 sides.
- Oil center of foil which will help prevent anything from sticking.
- Place sweet potatoes in the center of the foil, you want to make a solid layer for the sausage.
- Place broccolini in a single layer on top of the sweet potato, season with salt and pepper.
- Fold sides of foil up to create a “wall” and carefully pour ½ cup of chicken stock over the broccolini and sweet potatoes.
- Place nice lil’ dollops of sausage over the broccolini and sweet ‘tatos. Do not tightly wrap it, as there needs to be room for the steam to circulate within the pack.
- Using kitchen tongs place pack, seam side up, on the medium heat coals or briquettes.
- Cook on one side for 15 minutes at which point flip the pack, seam side down, and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Using kitchen tongs, remove the pack from the coals and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly unravel the pack back open and allow the steam to release. The steam will be very hot, please be careful.
- Find the nearest fork and DIG 👏🏽 IN 👏🏽 AND 👏🏽 GET 👏🏽 COZY.
Pro tip: Make sure that when you cut your sweet potatoes that they are all evenly sized because that means that they will all evenly cook at the same time. 🤓
If you enjoyed this recipe you’ll want to try some of my other foil packs! Make sure to check out 3 Foil Recipes for Campfire Cooking with Tinfoil.
Peace out! ✌🏽