Our property is located in the St. Francois Mountains, near the Rockpile Mountain Wilderness Trailhead, in the Fredericktown Ranger District of the Mark Twain National Forest. It consists of 6 private acres that joins 70 acres of public land for you to enjoy. Campers are welcome to pitch their tents anywhere on our property that suits them. Van campers are also welcome. Duri
Our property is located in the St. Francois Mountains, near the Rockpile Mountain Wilderness Trailhead, in the Fredericktown Ranger District of the Mark Twain National Forest. It consists of 6 private acres that joins 70 acres of public land for you to enjoy. Campers are welcome to pitch their tents anywhere on our property that suits them. Van campers are also welcome. During your stay you will have access to our:
• COMMUNAL AREA: Located behind the garage with a creekside fire pit, picnic table and additional seating.
• PORTA POTTY: Centrally located on our property in the meadow.
• CREEKSIDE CAMPSITE: Located across the creek at the edge of the meadow. This primitive campsite includes a picnic table and fire pit w/grilling grate. *For a better view of the stars you can also pitch your tent in the meadow.
• DISPERSED CAMPING: is permitted in the adjoining 70 acres of public land if you are feeling more adventurous.
*After you check-in for a brief meet and greet you will have to cross Captain Creek to get to your campsite and there are no bridges. The water level varies depending on rainfall. *The creek can go from a shallow, gentle babbling brook to rushing white water in less than an hour due to heavy rain.
• RECOMMENDED FOOTWEAR: The terrain in the area is mild to rugged in every direction. *Waterproof footwear with good ankle support, or muck boots, are highly recommended if you plan on hiking in the area.
• HIKING IN THE AREA: There are no trails beyond our property lines. If you venture out, it is cross country hiking on mild to rugged overgrown terrain. You will encounter dirt, mud, gravel, shifting rock, slippery rocks, roots and/or downed vegetation, various types of thorn bushes, steep grades and inclines, water/stream crossings without bridges, etc...
• WILDLIFE: The St. Francois Mountains is one of the oldest mountain ranges in North America. The diverse overlapping of biomes in the Ozarks make it the home to a wide variety of wildlife. Be advised that we do have venomous snakes in the area, mainly: copperheads and rattlesnakes *so beware when flipping rocks. Other animals that are in the area include: bobcats, wild hogs, bears, snapping turtles, crawdads, small fish, frogs, water snakes, turtles, lizards, salamanders, spiders, scorpions, armadillos, deer, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, opossum, mice, ticks, chiggers, turkey, kingfishers, woodpeckers, owls, bald eagles, vultures, hawks, hummingbirds, bats, etc.. If you like to KEEP CRITTERS AWAY be sure to keep your food and snacks stored properly and use the trash cans provided to discard your trash.
• NOISE DISCLAIMER: We are located right off of a lightly traveled highway which dead ends not far from our property. Because we are so secluded the only people that travel it are locals that live in the area. As far as highways go, it is pretty peaceful 95% of the time. You will definitely hear more birds and trickling water than traffic. *The surrounding area is used for various recreational purposes by locals. Chances are you will hear some atv traffic and you may hear recreational gunfire off in the distance during your stay.
• POINTS OF INTEREST IN THE SURROUNDING AREA: The St. Francois Mountains provides plenty of outdoor activities for you to take advantage of. Our campground on Captain Creek would make a great base camp if you want to head on out to some of these local attractions:
ROCKPILE MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS area approximately 10 minutes away.
THOMPSON FORD ACCESS is approximately 15 minutes away.
MARBLE CREEK RECREATION AREA is approximately 18 minutes away.
MILLSTREAM GARDENS CONSERVATION AREA is approximately 26 minutes away.
CASTOR RIVER SHUT-INS approximately 35 minutes away.
ST JOES STATE PARK approximately 35 minutes away.
SHEPHERD MOUNTAIN BIKE PARK is approximately 35 minutes away.
MINI SAUK FALLS (the highest waterfall in Missouri) approximately 35 minutes away.
ELEPHANT ROCKS STATE PARK approximately 45 minutes away.
JOHNSON'S SHUT-INS approximately 55 minutes away.
- Check in: After 12PM
- Check out: Before 12PM
- Cancellation policy: Moderate
- On arrival: Meet and greet
- Minimum nights: 1 night
- Accepts bookings: 3 months out
You know what would make this trip even better?
Take advantage of these offers available to add to your trip to Captain Creek Retreat
Offered on the Host's property or nearby.
Shepherd Mountain Bike Park is 35 minutes away in Ironton, Mo.
There are no trails beyond our property lines. If you venture out , it is cross country hiking on mild to rugged overgrown terr...Read more
St. Joes State Park is approximately 35 minutes away.
Here are a few local places to go swimming: Marble Creek Campground is approximately 19 minutes away. Castor River Shut-Ins is ...Read more
Millstream Gardens Conservation Area is approximately 26 minutes away.
The combination of creek, forest and scattered rock in the area insures that there will be plenty of wildlife to take in.
Natural features you'll find at Captain Creek Retreat in Missouri.