We invite you to our little slice of paradise! Enjoy the natural beauty of Lookout Mountain in Mentone, AL. Folklore Forest has 270 feet of Little River Frontage for you to enjoy. Considered to be the purest, natural flowing river in the state, bring your fishing gear and kayaks. Listen to Pipwild Spring trickling over the mossy rock waterfall. Sit at the water’s edge under
We invite you to our little slice of paradise! Enjoy the natural beauty of Lookout Mountain in Mentone, AL. Folklore Forest has 270 feet of Little River Frontage for you to enjoy. Considered to be the purest, natural flowing river in the state, bring your fishing gear and kayaks. Listen to Pipwild Spring trickling over the mossy rock waterfall. Sit at the water’s edge under canopies of rhododendrons and holly trees, and sit at your campfire and view the stunning starry nightscape.
Our 4 meter canvas bell tent offers a cozy 132 sq ft of space which can acComodate a twin size mattress in addition to the provided queen bed.
Here's what you find inside:
- Queen size bed with headboard, memory foam mattress, and antimicrobial waterproof cover.- Comforter, 4 pillows (with antimicrobial covers), and furry blanket.- Side table with reading material and games.- Wood camp stove (for heating the tent on chilly nights or cooking).- Heat powered stove fan.- Bundle of camp stove sized firewood.- Mr Heater propane space heater with 30 lb propane tank.- 6 person Coleman pop up tent.- Yoga Mat- Cart with coffee, silverware, plates, cups, bowls, French press, salt/pepper, sugar, kitchen and grill utensils, cutting board, and oven mitt.- Butane camp stove with fuel.- Battery powered fan/light combination.- Portable battery powered lantern.- Cast iron skillet, non stick skillet, medium sauce pan, small wok, and kettle.- 3 wash tubs.- Handmade broom.- 1 person hammock.
Here's what you'll find outside:
- Little red wagon to help you bring luggage down from the car or to gather firewood.
- 6ft picnic table.
- Cafe table and two chairs.
- 2 Adirondack chairs.
- Combination fire pit/grill.
- Solar powered cafe lights.
- Solar shower.
- Eco friendly composting toilet in private shower/bathroom wash house.
- Trash can and trash bags.
- 5 gallon Coleman water cooler.
You need to bring:
- Towels and rags
- Toilet paper and paper products
- Bug spray for summer months.
Also recommended to bring:
- Ice or dry ice- Extra wood (you can burn any fallen wood/twigs you find but don’t cut trees!- Cooler- Extra water (river water is pure but we always recommend boiling or filtering anything you drink)Guest accessFolklore Forest is on 3 acres and has 270 feet of River Frontage at your disposal. Little River is considered to be the purest, natural flowing river in the state. Bring your fishing gear and kayaks. Sit on the rocks at the base of the waterfall under the rhododendrons and holly trees, and wade in the water in the warm months.
Park on the side of the road in front of the Cynefin sign. There are solar lights illuminating the path to the tent if you arrive after dark. There you will find a "Little Red Wagon" that you can use to bring your luggage down.Other things to notePlease be respectful of any wildlife (there are white tail deer, raccoons, weasels, harmless black snakes, mink, foxes, coyotes, many birds, and the extremely, and we do mean extremely, rare black bear), while fishing in the little river is allowed, hunting is prohibited.
- Check in: After 3PM
- Check out: Before 11AM
- Cancellation policy: Flexible
- On arrival: Go straight to camp
- Minimum nights: 1 night
- Accepts bookings: 12 months out Weeknight discount: 15% off
You know what would make this trip even better?
Take advantage of these offers available to add to your trip to Cynefin at Folklore Forest
12 foot, two person Kayak with paddles. Check river water levels prior to use...Read more
Pets are welcome but we do an even deeper clean after each pet stay.
Offered on the Host's property or nearby.
Natural features you'll find at Cynefin at Folklore Forest in Alabama.
Places to see near The Cynefin At Folklore Forest
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
Cynefin was a lovely, private, wooded respite. Thomas was responsive to the questions that I had in advance as well as providing a lovely list of things in the area to do of which there are many. It's a cute town with lots of makers selling their wears and in close to proximity to an adorable market and other fun activities. Any instructions for the campsite we might have needed were provided in a great welcome binder. The site and tent were nicely maintained and stocked with all the kitchen supplies and some extras that we might need. Oh! and the bed was really comfy :)
We loved sitting in the river and watching our dogs explore. In general, it was fantastic to relax and enjoy the tranquility and sights and sounds of nature surrounding us. We hope to be back some day to explore more of the area!
Family weekend camping trip
Awesome set up and great time with the family! Can’t say enough about how great this place is- not too primitive but that great outdoors feel. Everything is well thought of by Thomas and the attention to detail is second to none! As stated in the description, there is no cell service (which we loved!) but a short drive up the road and you can reconnect. We spent the weekend with our three kids+dog and everyone had a great time. Highly recommend!!
Cynefin at Folklore Forest was really special. Thomas has provided all the amenities to make it a luxurious camping experience. The spot it beautiful, the river is so clear, and it's very private. We only wish we had had more time to spend at the site! Thomas was a great communicator.
100% hidden gem
You can really truly tell that a lot of time, money, and effort went into this spot. This was such a wonderful campsite, a literal hidden gem. If you like to camp, you need to come visit this place. The tent will easily fit 4-5 people. It was clean and the raised platform really makes you feel better about bugs, snakes, etc…
You are about 100ish feet from the river. No, there isn’t a dedicated beach to relax at but there are several openings to lounge by the water. There’s about 150ft to walk along the river as well which is the host’s property. We brought our fishing gear, but there wasn’t any good fishing spots at the site unfortunately.
You also get a fresh water natural spring with small waterfall which was magical. You really get the sense of serenity and tranquility while you’re staying here.
Make sure to bring extra batteries for the host’s provided lanterns/fans throughout the campsite and tent. It was nice having a private restroom and shower outhouse. If you’re taller, you’ll have to get real low to the ground to get a good clean with the solar showers. (Make sure to fill the shower bags and leave them in the sun to warm throughout the day.) The road is the best spot for this.
Overall, we felt very comfortable and safe. Everything is very clean and is set up for you to enjoy with minimal stress. We definitely plan on coming back. Thank you Thomas for allowing us to use your beautiful property!