This park doesn't have any submitted photos—just yet.
Report this photo
What's wrong with this photo?
Asheville's Country Retreat!, North Carolina
History of Engadine in Candler, NC
Engadine was built by Captain John Keais Hoyt, a former Confederate Officer in Company K, 3rd Alabama Infantry in Stonewall Jackson’s Brigade. When the Read more...
History of Engadine in Candler, NC
Engadine was built by Captain John Keais Hoyt, a former Confederate Officer in Company K, 3rd Alabama Infantry in Stonewall Jackson’s Brigade. When the Civil War ended, Captain Hoyt made his way to western North Carolina just outside of Asheville with his wife Mary Bensel Hoyt, and their four daughters. They lived in a cabin on the property while the mansion on the hill was being built. In 1895 they moved into the house, which the Captain named Engadine because the area reminded him of the Engadine Valley in Switzerland.
Engadine was built incorporating the most modern technology of its time. Although the house had fireplaces in every room, central heat was provided by a coal furnace in the basement. Electricity was supplied to the house by a water-powered generator built on the property. Running water was provided by servants, who pumped it to a storage tank in the attic. From there, the gravity-supplied system provided water to sinks contained in closets between each of the bedrooms on the second floor. One of these water closets are still in use today.
Captain Hoyt planted grapevines behind and next to the mansion and became a successful vintner. His winery, where he made his famous Engadine wine, originally stood in the location where the barn is currently located. Engadine Vineyards sold wine to the Vanderbilts (Biltmore Estate), the Battery Park Hotel in downtown Asheville, and other local customers. Engadine wine was also shipped by rail to customers all over the country. Early Prohibition brought a swift end to the Captain’s beloved wine business, but one of the his original grape vines still grows on the grounds.
After the Captain’s death in 1910, the house was sold to E. J. Willingham who was a land speculator from Georgia. He sold the house to Alden Betts who was from New Jersey and used Engadine as a summer home. In 1944, Glenn and Stella Howell bought the house and raised their family at Engadine. In the process of restoring the house, the Howells tore down the three-room addition that housed the original kitchen, and the kitchen was moved into what is now the Inn's office.
Engadine began its transition to an Inn in 1988 when Bill Maddox and Linda Crawford purchased Engadine and restored and modernized the house. The plumbing, electrical and heating systems were replaced; central air conditioning and a new kitchen was added. In 1994 Linda Crawford converted the house to a bed and breakfast. In the years since then with several changes in ownership, Engadine has hosted visitors from around the world.
In November 2014, Tom Watson and Rick Bell, purchased the property to become the next stewards of the storied property. With a desire to return the property to its historic name, Rick and Tom once again changed its name to Engadine Inn And Cabins (at Honey Hill!) and have begun work to expand the property’s offerings, including as a facility for hosting weddings and special events. The entrance drive is being cleared and landscaped to open a view of the mansion from Smoky Park Highway and several sites on the property are being graded to create outdoor event spaces…spaces with dramatic views of the surrounding mountains. Future plans include the creation of an enclosed event facility and the addition of new cabins in the wooded sections of the property along Hominy Creek.