This park doesn't have any submitted photos—just yet.
Report this photo
What's wrong with this photo?
Historic Sturtevant Camp, California
Sturtevant Camp is an organizational camp permitted through the US Forest Service.It is owned by the Friends of the San Gabriels and is open to the public to rest, Read more...
Sturtevant Camp is an organizational camp permitted through the US Forest Service.It is owned by the Friends of the San Gabriels and is open to the public to rest, revitalize and/or rent cabin space.
The Camp was established in 1893 and is the last remaining resort camp in the Big Santa Anita Canyon (Angeles National Forest, California).
When the Camp was first opened, sleeping quarters were tent cabins. Beginning in 1945, enclosed guest cabins were built along with a manager’s cabin, a retreat cabin (a fully self-contained cabin with a kitchenette, restroom, and sitting area) and a bathhouse. The last remaining “honeymoon cottage” still stands below the bathhouse.The Camp sleeps up to 42 guests. Couples and groups of 5 or more may rent individual cabins or the full camp can be rented.
In Camp, there is lots to do or nothing to do depending upon your preference.Croquet, badminton, volleyball, horseshoes, a big swing, zip line, a nature hike and various games are all available to guests.
Over a century ago, this was one of several mountain resorts, complete with “honeymoon cottages,” tennis courts where ladies played in long dresses, men wearing white shirts and string ties to dinner, and everyone danced to the fiddle underneath the stars.From the late 1890’s until the Great Depression, thousands upon thousands of people rode the electric trolley cars out of Los Angeles to the end of the line in Sierra Madre, and then hiked the trails or rented horses/mules to ride into Camp and stay.There was a post office in Camp where guests could send and receive mail (picked up and delivered by the daily pack train) and a store where supplies could be purchased for “adventuring.”
Where the Main Lodge is today, Wilbur Sturtevant built the “Swiss Dining Hall” in 1897. At that time it was an open pavilion with a kitchen underneath.
During prohibition, it included a still and slot machines!When the
United Methodist Church purchased the Camp in 1945, they enclosed the
dining hall, added a kitchen and a fireplace room. Today, you can play
cards, games, table tennis (ping-pong), or read, sit by the fire, eat
meals with friends or family, do arts and crafts, or just enjoy the view
from within the Main Lodge.