CAMPFIRES WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED LAKESIDE IN THE 2 COMMUNAL FIRE PITS FROM JULY 1st TO THE FIRST RAIN IN OCTOBER!!!! All campsites have their own fire pit except for campsites 1,2 and 9 which use the 2 communal firepits.Cookstoves are permitted in all campsites...BYO table, except for campsites 1, 2, 3, and 4
We have room for 10 campsites on the property, so you have many choices: Camp in The Redwood Grove, or by the lake, or in the deep woods, perhaps near Scorpion Rock. Views and privacy await you with hiking trails and fishing in Sherwood Forest Lake Camp. There is a one acre lake with a canoe available. There is a 50 foot dock and a swim-to diving float in the middle of the lake. Standard toilet is next to the lake. Potable water is available as well as a sink for washing. Camps 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are 4WD or AWD (if you dare) or we will help transport your gear if necessary. We are musicians so we may drop by for a few tunes around the campfire. We provide firewood for campfires and cooking. If you prefer charcoal you must bring it.
Special Note: We have a Petanque/Boules Court at the lake! Leisure Boules are available for play if you don't have your own. There are also Horsehoe Pits and Horseshoes. Oh, and Croquet and Cornhole....
2nd Special Note: This is northern California. There is poison oak. No one has gotten a bad case of it as we keep it at bay with weed whacking. We don't use chemicals here and poison oak is a critical food source and cover for many animals. If you are concerned about it, campsites 1 and 2 are your best choices....All roads, campsites and paths are clear of it.
DOGS: Dogs must be very well behaved and friendly with other dogs and people. Any problem dogs must leave immediately. They can be in your car, tent or tied securely. Barking dogs are not allowed. No Pit Bulls or other aggressive breeds.
STOP AT OUR HOME TO CHECK IN and please call or text ahead to let us know when you are arriving.
1. THE TWO BIG FIRS: This popular campsite can accommodate several tents, and is very near the lake and facilities. Shadey. (4wd not needed)
2. LAKESIDE: Closest site to the lake and facilities. Most convenient and very popular. Most public. This spot can accommodate several tents. Great view. (4wd not needed) Sun and shade.
3. THE REDWOOD GROVE: Deep woods, shady and quiet: This favorite campsite is nestled next to the redwoods that Dad planted 50 years ago. This location can accommodate several tents. 4wd is needed, or we will transport.
3 or 4 tents will fit here....
4. ARROWHEAD: Deep woods, 4wd needed or we will transport. Room for 3 tents. Auxiliary camp nearby can accommodate 2 more tents.
5. SCORPION ROCK: Sun and shade, 4wd needed or we will transport. Views through the trees. 2, maybe 3 tents possible.
6. BIG LEAF MAPLE: Deep woods, 4wd needed, or we will transport. Sun and Shade. 3 or 4 tents possible.
7. FRENCH CAMP: This very popular campsite can accommodate 2 tents comfortably. Located at the northwest end of the lake, within a stones throw of the water, 3 minute walk to facilities. Sun and shade. Great view of the lake. (4wd not needed) 1 or 2 medium sized tents....
8. THE GROTTO: Deep woods, nestled next to a massive rock formation. 4wd needed or we will transport. Shady. 4 tents possible
9. Bennett Camp: Close to the southern border of Sherwood Camp in the shade with an open feel. Near camp 1 and the lake and facilities. Easy access by car. A QUIET CAMP. Please keep noise down after 10:00pm due to neighbors. There is room for: 2 tents or one big one.
10. Manzanita Camp. Nestled under a Manzanita canopy. Same as Camp Bennett...A QUIET CAMP, especially after 10:pm...due to neighbors....2 medium to small tents possible
Camp 6 is the farthest from the facilities. It is about a 10 minute walk. All other sites are 5 minutes or less away from the Sherwood Forest Lake.....
- Check in: After 2PM
- Check out: Before 2PM
- Cancellation policy: Moderate
- On arrival: Meet and greet
- Minimum nights: None
- Accepts bookings: 12 months out
The vibe at Sherwood Camp
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
We had the best week-end we could have possibly wished. Down into the most peaceful part of the woods, we have a complete nature immersion at John's camp. This camp is charming, quiet, and has a lot of fun amenities to provide, pond with canoe, kitchen, grill, restrooms, fire-pit and most of all an official Pétanque field!
I can't leave a review without telling how great the hosts are. John will welcome you in the warmest way and will make sure your stay is wonderful!
We had a great time here with a group of 10 people (booked 2 sites). John was a wonderful host and joined us by the campfire for some songs on his guitar. Great parts about the property include beautiful views of the valley, new long redwood table for large groups, grill available, bathroom, sink for washing dishes, place to charge cell phones, lake for swimming/fishing/canoeing, close access to town/Safeway. I recommend sites 1 and 2 which are closest to the lake. Some of the other sites are tucked away in the woods but there's a lot of poison oak. They very kindly let us switch sites. John started hosting people a few months ago and is constantly improving the property - so very possible the poison oak will be gone from these sites in the future. Property is about an hour drive from Mendocino. Definitely recommend! John made us feel right at home.
We loved our stay at Sherwood Camp! John and Anita are great hosts - from calling the day before check-in with helpful instructions, to carting our supplies down to our site in their 4WD vehicle. Not to mention entertaining us around the campfire at night!! We stayed in site #3 - it is down a fairly steep hill (about a 5 min walk from the lake and community area) but provided us with total privacy. There's a good vibe at Sherwood, we hope to go back.
We enjoyed our time at Sherwood Camp. Even though it was Memorial Weekend and the campsite was full, our location at campsite #1 gave us a view of the communal area, pond, and mountains while still affording us privacy and it did not feel crowded at all. It had plenty of shade, some direct light in the morning and you could go to communal areas for more direct sun. The communal areas (pelonque, horseshoes, swings, fire pits) were great.
The hosts were very friendly and helpful. They are even gave an impromptu concert one evening.
Bring bug spray - price you pay for being close to a beautiful pond.
Highly recommend! We would book again. Great for groups (book multiple sites)
The hosts were excellent! They took us in a fun ride around the property in the jeep and came to sang us songs around the fire. The location of this campsite isn't that close to any epic hikes so we ended up driving 50 minutes to get some hikes in on the coast. Really family-friendly site, though!
This was a spur of the moment, last minute July 4th weekend trip. I'm so grateful that this host had a site available. The property is beautiful. My husband and I had a site that was large and private (site 5/Scorpion Rock) It was sunny and had beautiful views of the hills around us. John was a fantastic host. He loaded our gear up and trekked it down the hill to our site. We had a fun day hanging around the lake. In the evening, we gathered with a group playing petanque and my husband joined in to learn. Our dog had a blast running around with the host's dogs and cooling off in the lake too! Just a great trip and we will be back!