About Ojai Mountaintop Treehouse
Claim your own private mountain with ocean views just 20 minutes from Ojai's boutique shops, restaurants and wineries. What you'll find up here: Ocean and Channel Island views, direct access to great biking and hiking, a newly built tree house, and, of course, crazy amazing stars.
To get to the 40-acre property, you'll drive the scenic East Sulphur Mt. Road until it dead ends. There you will see two gates - one to a public fire road that goes through the 35,000 acre Canada Larga ranch and a large wooden one to our property. You'll use the gate code and drive about two hundred yards along a smooth dirt road through a coastal oak forest before you get to your camp site and tree house.
There, you'll have access to five holes of Frisbee golf, a picnic table, a hammock, a portable bathroom, and 360 views over Ojai, the Topa Topa Mountains, Point Magu near Malibu, and, in the distance, the Channel Islands. We also provide a list of suggested day trips, restaurants, and hikes in and around Ojai when you complete your booking.
About the area: Sulphur Mt. has been known only to a select few. Larry Hagman used to live down the road. Channum Tating has a house at the bottom of the hill. A Texas natural gas heir built a $13 million estate just down the hill. Not that you're likely to see anyone while up there - it's very private.
Need help with something? Our caretakers lives next door - about a quarter mile away - and you can just call them if you need help with something.
A few things to know before you go:
- WEATHER: Ojai is HOT in the summer. Our summer actually extends into September and mid October. Bring sunscreen and a hat. While it does sometime cool down at nights, it doesn't always so come prepared for very warm weather. At least, check the weather before you go.
- CELL SERVICE: AT&T has great cell service up here. Verizon is patchy.
- LAST MINUTE ITEMS: The views and location are incredible, but if you're expecting to drop by a convenience store for extra milk, you're looking at a twenty-minute drive back into Ojai.
- RESTROOMS: The porto potty is an 'elite' model that is switched out once a week, but, still, it's a porto potty.
- FIRES: Unfortunately, no fires are allowed and while we used to have a grill, we now have to limit open flames to those little camping propane stoves. It is just WAY too dry now. Pray, dance, and hope for rain.
- WILDLIFE: All of the wildlife you'd expect to find in the mountains of Southern California can be found up here. While we haven't seen everything on this list you could theoretically see a mountain lion, black bear, scorpion, rattle snakes, scorpions, bobcats, and raccoons.
- FLIES: Among the smaller wildlife you will encounter are flies that are everywhere this time of year. Fortunately, they are at their most annoying around sunset and sunrise and generally subside during the other parts of the day.
- MICE: These too are naturally found up there. They are country mice - not city mice - but mice all the same.
- PETS: Welcome but please clean up after them. Also, if you’re worried about your pet getting into the mice bait we've laid out around the tree house, might want to reevaluate.
- TRASH: In part to keep the mice at bay and in part because we don't have facilities to accommodate rubbish, we ask all guests to bring their trash out with them.
- WAIVERS: All adults will need to sign liability waivers. These go out in advance via email and only takes a minute.
- GROUP SIZE: We limit group size to six. Granted it's a rural setting, but because of the geography up there, sound carries and it's really important to us that we stay good neighbors. So if need a place for a retreat or church group or something, consider the group camp sites at Lake Casitas, Pine Mountain, or Wheeler Gorge.
- RVS and TRAILERS: The last part of the road is pretty steep and while there is a large flat area for tents, we're trying to let the grass grow so, alas, we can't accommodate RVs and trailers.
- A one-room tree house. (Note: No bed to sleep in but plenty of room for at least four people with sleeping pads.)
- Two sleeping cots.
- Tables and chairs.
- A hammock.
- A little purified water for drinking but best to bring your own.
- A platform for tents/yoga.
- Total privacy.
And lots of room to roam!
FILM SHOOTS: Film shoots are possible but for an additional location fee. Please enquire before you book for details.
- Listing type: Private
- No. of sites: 1
- Accessible by: Drive
- Accommodation: Tent Only
- Check in after: 2PM
- Check out before: 11AM
- Cancellation policy: Moderate
- On arrival: Go straight to camp
- Minimum nights: None
- Accepts bookings: 5 months out
- Weeknight discount: 30% off
- Response time: Within 6 hours
- Response rate: 100%
The vibe at Ojai Mountaintop Treehouse
If you stayed here and have some insider info for us, let us know!
This campsite was great! The treehouse is the perfect size for two (or more) people but there is also endless space on the property for tent-pitching if that's what you're looking for. The views were also spectacular -- highly recommend!
I needed a quiet place to study for professional certification exam and this was the perfect spot for me. There is a seating and eating area with views of the pacific ocean and the tree house porch has a wonderful view of Topa Topa bluff. The National Weather Service had issued a high wind watch for the time I was there. Unfortunately, it was too late to cancel. I spent most of my study time comfortable and well sheltered in the tree house, Fortunately, the winds died down at dinnertime and I could enjoy some study time viewing the ocean while dinner was simmering along. Campfires are not allowed but I probably would not have started one even if they were. Winds picked up again overnight and really hammered the tree house. The tree house shook considerably, but held up fine. It was a sleepless night for me until the winds died down again near daybreak. The property is very private and quiet, and fairly large. I hope to return some time with my two daughters, I am quite sure they will enjoy it. There is a frisbee golf course, croquet and badminton sets, swing, hammock and access to nearby hiking.
We absolutely loved our stay at the Ojai Treehouse. The private mountaintop ridge offers insane expansive views of Ventura, the Pacific and, Channel islands. The new Treehouse is gorgeous and facilities (porta potty) very clean. Take advantage of the charcoal grill to cook as well (No fires / open flames allowed!) We were a group of 4, two stayed in the treehouse and two of us opted to camp under the stars in our tent as the weather was PERFECT. It was perfectly still / quiet the entire night. Haven't slept that well in a while. Only note: Since it was so still all day and night, bugs were naturally more prone to be lingering so remember your bug spray! Had there been a breeze wouldn't have a problem.
I can't wait to head back and would highly recommend anyone visiting Ojai or the area stay here!
This property is amazing! The treehouse is beautifully built with large windows and sliding doors that allow full views of the surrounding landscape. The property is on a cliff that overlooks the Pacific Ocean, Channel Islands, and hilly cities below. The sunset and sunrise were amazing, we even saw two shooting stars at night! We loved relaxing in the hammock and just taking in the views and peacefulness of the property. There are two large tables that are perfect for prepping and eating your meals at. We used the provided charcoal grill for our dinner. The porta potty was clean and even had a station outside with soap and water to wash your hands. Our two friends stayed in the treehouse, while we camped in a tent. The temperature was perfect and we slept through the whole night peacefully. The evening was warm with little to no wind, so there were quite a few mosquitos flying around. Don't forget to bring some bug spray or long layers for the evenings, just in case! We loved staying here and can't wait to stay again.
It was my first time camping in a tree house and I have to say the highlight of it was waking up to a beautiful sunrise. Being high up on the tree I was able to experience the best of nature with amazing scenery and birds chirping in the tree. The location offers an amazing amount of space to grill food, sit, dine, and lounge with friends at night and stargaze. I had a remarkable time and would definitely recommend it to everyone.
Really cool spot, great views and very peaceful at night. The treehouse stayed a little warmer than outside but it still got cold at night, bring an extra blanket! Had so much fun I didn't even think to take any pictures!!