Ahjumawi Lava Springs State ParkLeave review
About Ahjumawi Lava Springs State Park
Campgrounds in Ahjumawi Lava Springs
This park doesn't have any submitted photos—just yet.
Drop some Ahjumawi Lava Springs knowledge on us.
History of Ahjumawi Lava Springs State Park
The Ajumawi (Ah-joo-MAH-wee) people, for whom this park is named, are one of 11 autonomous bands of the federally recognized Pit River Tribe. The Ajumawi have remained in this area, calling this land home for thousands of years. Ajumawi and its spelling variations— Achomawi, Achumawi and Ahjumawi— refer to the people who have occupied this area from prehistory to the present. English translations of Ajumawi vary from “river people” to “where the waters come together.” The Ajumawi people built rock fish traps near the shoreline that channeled fresh spring water needed to attract Sacramento suckers and trout. The traps held the fish in a shallow place that allowed them to be caught while spawning in winter. Once the native people caught their self-imposed limit of fish, the traps functioned as protected spawning grounds, ensuring the successful reproduction of the next generation of fish.
Today, descendants of the 11 bands making up the Pit River Tribe still live in an area known as “the hundred-mile square” in parts of Shasta, Siskiyou, Modoc and Lassen counties. They are keeping their cultural traditions alive for future generations.By the 20th century, much of the former Ajumawi homeland in the Fall River Valley had been acquired by Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) to further electrical power development. In 1944, rancher and former lumberman Harry Horr and his wife Ivy purchased 6,000 acres from PG&E. The Horrs used the land for cattle grazing and leased it to hunting and fishing clubs. After Harry’s death in the 1960s, Ivy Horr wished to see the land and its resources preserved. In 1975, California State Parks
acquired the acreage that is now the park, helped by a generous gift from Mrs. Horr.